Department of Transportation DOT Physical Jacksonville FL
We offer certified medical exam for CDL DOT Physical for drivers seeking to obtain a commercial drivers license (CDL) or for those wishing to renew their cdl medical card. You may schedule dot exam appointments by calling our office.
We offer a comprehensive DOT physical exam that is required by the motor carrier safety administration which includes a detailed health history, blood pressure check, vision testing, hearing testing, thorough review of systems, and urine analysis for blood, sugar, protein, and specific gravity.
Prior to your DOT medical exam appointment, the following is advised:
The commercial driver candidate should bring a valid driver’s license and old medical examiner’s card (if applicable)
Drink plenty of water an hour before your appointment.
What the DOT Physical Covers
1. Vision Check
As a drivers your are required to have at least 20/40 acuity in each eye with or without correction. You must also have at least 70” peripheral in the horizontal meridian, measured in each eye.
2. Hearing Exam
Drivers must be able to perceive what is known as a “forced whisper” at a distance of 5ft or less, with or without a hearing aid. This standard equates to an average hearing loss in the better ear of less than 40 dB.
3. Blood pressure/pulse rate inspection
The medical examiner will check the driver’s blood pressure and pulse to look for high blood pressure and irregular heartbeats.
4. Urinalysis Test
A urinalysis is required. The test looks for indications of underlying medical conditions such as diabetes.
5. Physical Examination
The physical exam will cover a dozen different categories:
- General appearance
- Eyes (cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.)
- Ears (scarring of tympanic membrane, perforated ear drums, etc.)
- Mouth and throat (to look for problems breathing or swallowing)
- Heart (murmurs, extra sounds, pacemaker, etc.)
- Lungs and chest, not including breast examination (abnormal breathing, impaired respiratory functions, cyanosis, etc.)
- Abdomen and Viscera (enlarged liver, viscera, muscle weakness)
- Vascular (abnormal pulse, carotid, varicose veins)
- Genito-urinary (hernias)
- Extremities (limb impaired)
- Spine, other musculoskeletal (previous surgery, limitation of motion, tenderness, etc.)
- Neurological (impaired equilibrium, coordination or speech pattern, ataxia, asymmetric deep tendon reflexes)
A DOT physical can only be completed by a medical examiner certified by the FMCSA. It is up to the Medical Examiner to determine if a candidate meets all the requirements, and to mark the report to the best of their knowledge.
As a leading whole body care specialist East Cost Injury maintains a current, comprehensive knowledge of DOT regulations. We require all our doctor to be FMCSA-certified so our centers will always have someone to complete DOT physicals as your primary care specialist.
Here is a link to the DOT physical requirement if you are in Jacksonville Florida.
DOT Drug Screen Requirement
In addition to the DOT physical, you will take a DOT drug screen upon arrival.
The drug screen can detect small traces of illegal drug use including:
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
Landstar, a local trucking company requires a certified medical examiner provider a dot exam every two years. These tests are required by all transportation vendors as part of the federal motor carrier safety program.
Make sure before you sign up with Landstar or any other trucking company in Jacksonville FL you have you dot physical exam up to date.
It is the responsibility of the motor carrier safety administration to issue the rules and regulations that affect the safety of the public when it comes to transporting vehicles and the type of medical examination that needs to occur. For instance, the carriers must carry a form that is signed by the carrier, stating that he has checked and paid attention to all the necessary documents , like the DOT physical, and has complied with all the other requirements for transport. These rules will apply to all of the carriers that travel on public roads and highways. Therefore, you can easily get in touch with the motor carrier safety administration if you want to know what the required documents should be for each one of your vehicles.
The rule book or the manual that comes with the motor carrier safety administration will contain all the rules that you have to follow while traveling on the roads. The required documents and their requirements will also be mentioned. The rule book will be issued to you when you sign up with the carrier. This way, you will be able to make your vehicle safe and comply with all the laws that are imposed.
Quality Care Options At EastCoastInjury
Southside's Top-Rated JTB & Auto Accident Chiropractor
East Coast Injury Clinic - Chiropractor & Neurologist is located at 9889 Gate Parkway N Suite 305, Jacksonville.
Directions From Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) :
- Head northwest on Yankee Clipper Dr
- Use the 2nd from the right lane to stay on Yankee Clipper Dr. slight left and keep right.
- Continue straight onto Dixie Clipper Dr
- Keep left to stay on Dixie Clipper Dr and continue onto Airport Rd.
- Turn right to merge onto I-95 S toward Jacksonville and merge onto I-95 S.
- Take exit 362A to merge onto I-295 S and head straight for 10.5mi.
- Keep left to stay on I-295 S and use the right 2 lanes to take exit 53 to merge onto FL-202 W/Butler Blvd.
- Take the Gate Parkway exit and keep right at the fork, follow signs for St Johns Town Center
- Merge onto Gate Pkwy N.
- Turn right and East Coast Injury Clinic - Chiropractor & Neurologist will be on your left.
We are open Monday Friday 9am - 6:00pm. For additional questions, you can call us at (904) 513-3954 or you can find us on Yelp. Our Jacksonville chiropractor is waiting on your call. There is no reason to live with chronic pain due to your work or auto injury.
East Coast Injury Clinic
9889 Gate Parkway N, Suite 305
Jacksonville, FL 32246
Phone: (904) 513-3954
Fax: (904) 212-0223
Stability, Balance, and Coordination
Monday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
GET IN TOUCH