Neck Pain Treatment Jacksonville FL
East Coast Injury Clinic
Auto Accident Injury Care & Chiropractic
located in Jacksonville, FL
Anyone who’s ever developed a stiff, painful neck after a car accident can attest, whiplash can be an excruciating injury. That’s because neck pain and other whiplash symptoms don’t always show up right away — sometimes, they take days or even weeks to appear. The specialists at East Coast Injury Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida have extensive experience helping people avoid neck injury complications following car accidents. They’re proud to operate the go-to neurological practice for neck injury patients from communities across the northeastern region of Florida.
Why is whiplash a common car accident injury?
Whiplash is one of the most common injuries sustained in auto accidents, particularly in rear-end collisions. It occurs when your head is forcefully thrown back and forth, causing the quick and uncontrollable movement of your neck that makes your spine move rapidly, much like the cracking of a whip.
Whiplash happens this way: Upon impact, your body is pushed deep into the seat. Your head, which is momentarily isolated by your neck, delays its reaction as your body quickly reaches its limits in the seat. Then, your body changes directions instantaneously, moving forward into the boundaries of the seat belt.
As your body pushes forward, your head begins moving backward in the opposite direction. Unrestrained by a seat belt, your head is jerked back and forth beyond its normal limits. Although everything might feel like it’s happening in slow motion, you can’t stop your head from whipping back and forth.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash typically causes trauma to the discs, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and surrounding tissues in your neck. Although symptoms may not always appear immediately following an accident, many people who sustain a neck injury develop some symptoms within 24 hours of the trauma. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Pain that worsens with movement
- Decreased range of motion
- Headaches (which often start at the base of your skull)
- Tenderness or pain that radiates through your shoulders, upper back, and arms
- A tingling sensation or numbness in your arms
- Dizziness or fatigue
Less common symptoms include, blurry vision, ringing in your ears, insomnia, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
Why should I seek treatment for accident-related neck pain?
Even if your car hasn’t sustained much damage, it’s important not to minimize your risk of internal injury after an accident. That’s because patients who experience whiplash symptoms soon after sustaining trauma are more likely to develop long-term, chronic neck pain if their injuries are left untreated. What may have started out as stiff, sore neck muscles brought on by the initial trauma and inflammation, can become a long-term joint, disc, muscle, or nerve problem if it’s not cared for properly.
Those who delay seeking appropriate care are also more likely to discover that scar tissue and spinal instability may require routine future checkups, and continued medical care. With a proper diagnosis and prompt treatment, however, most neck injury patients will go on to recover completely in a matter of months.
Quality Care Options At EastCoastInjury
Southside's Top-Rated JTB & Auto Accident Chiropractor
East Coast Injury Clinic - Chiropractor & Neurologist is located at 9889 Gate Parkway N Suite 305, Jacksonville.
Directions From Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) :
- Head northwest on Yankee Clipper Dr
- Use the 2nd from the right lane to stay on Yankee Clipper Dr. slight left and keep right.
- Continue straight onto Dixie Clipper Dr
- Keep left to stay on Dixie Clipper Dr and continue onto Airport Rd.
- Turn right to merge onto I-95 S toward Jacksonville and merge onto I-95 S.
- Take exit 362A to merge onto I-295 S and head straight for 10.5mi.
- Keep left to stay on I-295 S and use the right 2 lanes to take exit 53 to merge onto FL-202 W/Butler Blvd.
- Take the Gate Parkway exit and keep right at the fork, follow signs for St Johns Town Center
- Merge onto Gate Pkwy N.
- Turn right and East Coast Injury Clinic - Chiropractor & Neurologist will be on your left.
We are open Monday Friday 9am - 6:00pm. For additional questions, you can call us at (904) 513-3954 or you can find us on Yelp. Our Jacksonville chiropractor is waiting on your call. There is no reason to live with chronic pain due to your work or auto injury.